Different Uses of Diamonds
Diamond is very popularly known for being used as a gem in jewelry but other than this basic use of diamond there are many other uses of this valuable stone. Diamonds are being used in many industries as well for various operations. Along with being used in the industry, diamonds are also used for some basic general uses.
If you are one of those who believes that diamonds can only be used as a gem in the jewelry market then you must read this article and find the various valuable uses of the diamond. Although there are many sites from where you can buy diamond solitaire, other than this you must be aware of the various other uses of this valuable stone. Let us find some of the uses of diamond other than being used in the jewelry market:
- Glass cutting: Small pieces of diamonds are used for cutting glasses. The small portions of diamonds are also used for drilling the rocks. The hardness of the diamond is the main reason why diamonds are preferred for doing such cutting and drilling activities. You must have also heard that a diamond can cut a diamond and that is true. A small portion of diamond can be used for making a cut in large diamond pieces.
- Polishing other stones: No matter if a diamond is used in the solid form or in the form of dust, diamond holds a number of uses. The dust of the diamond can be used for polishing other diamonds and precious stones. The dust of the diamond gives an enhanced shine in the other stones.
- Tungsten Wires: It may also amaze some of the people that a diamond can also be used in making tungsten wires. The diamond dies are used for the process of making the wires using the lab equipment.
- Engrave Stones: According to the well-known site of Hunker, diamonds can be used for engraving stones to various other metals. The various stones that can be engraved are granite, quartz, etc. The workers feel no need for the replacement of engraving bit as the diamond does not break, scratch or damage any of the stones. As a result of the same, the work can be done without any worries or tension.
- Electronic Applications: Since diamonds possess a high level of thermal conductivity, therefore, diamonds can be used in various electronic applications to prevent the delicate parts from getting damaged from the heat rays of the sun. The diamonds are used as heat sinks in such electronic applications for repealing away the heat of the sun.
- Lapping: Lapping is also a very popular method which uses diamond. In the process of lapping, a diamond slurry is used. The diamond slurry is made by mixing water with a mixture that contains small pieces of diamonds. This diamond slurry is then applied between the two surfaced that needs to be lapped and rubbed for getting results.
Antidote for Poison/Disease: While there is no scientific evidence backing this usage, diamonds are often used as antidotes in various places for poisons or diseases. The belief that eating diamonds would ward off illness stems from the days of the plague. The lower classes felt the deadly effects of the plague before the upper classes did, a result of their inferior health care and dirtier living conditions. However, many poor people came to the conclusion that it was the diamonds that the wealthy people were swallowing that were keeping them healthy.
Heat Sinks: A heat sink is a component in an electronic system that cools it by eliminating heat and mixing into the surrounding. Diamonds have a high thermal conductivity that means they are very good heat conductors and diamonds are used as a good tool for heat sinks.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend. No matter in what size, shape or color it is, the diamonds are the perfect companion of the modern generation. The present generation who no more believes in wearing heavy tons of jewelry usually prefers wearing just a stylish and trendy piece of diamond.