Tips To Get Rid Of Eczema the Organic Way
What is Eczema
Eczema appears as red bumps on the face, and in severe cases, may spread to other areas like the folds of the neck, arms and legs as the newborn baby grows. A skin with eczema becomes inflamed, gets dry, itches and is accompanied by oozing. The eczema disappears as the baby grows because the skin becomes thick and less sensitive.
Causes of Eczema
There are six types of eczema that may affect your child. They are Atopic Dermatitis, Allergic Dermatitis, Contact Eczema, Dyshidrotic Eczema, Nummular Eczema and Seborrheic Eczema. Atopic dermatitis, simply known as eczema, is the most common rash from which babies suffer.
Eczema may be due to food allergens of which the most common are eggs, cow’s milk, gluten like wheat and barley, citrus, fish and soy. Eczema may also be due to other allergens like pet dander, dust mites or mold spores. Genetic inclination towards skin conditions may be another cause of eczema.
Though steroidal creams are available, but eczema can also be fought naturally with at-home readily available remedies that are effective in fighting eczema outbreaks and help to relieve the symptoms.
1. Taking Care While Bathing the Baby
- Give him short baths lasting between 5 – 10 minutes with lukewarm water with gentle soaps.
- Apply the soap gently and take care not to scrub hard.
- Use natural colloidal oatmeal to give him an oatmeal bath, which can also help.
- Chamomile, licorice and fenugreek which have anti-inflammatory properties will help to reduce the eczema redness. You can add 4 - 5 drops of either chamomile or licorice into the bath or add a teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder.
- Babies with extreme eczema will benefit from a bleach bath, which will help to prevent infections caused by the bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus, which lives on the skin with eczema and can cause flare-ups. Beach baths help to fight these bacteria. Add one-fourth cup of bleach into a bath-tub half-filled with warm water. Ensure that the bleach is kept away from any contact with the eyes.
2. Using Natural Moisturizers
Use fragrance-free thick cream or an ointment to moisturize him twice a day.
- Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and makes an effective moisturizer. Its high omega-3 fatty acid content makes it an ideal therapy for skin conditions like eczema.
- Lavender oil has antibacterial properties and helps in relaxation. Add 2 -3 drops of lavender oil to half cup coconut oil and mix the solution. Transfer it to a jar and cover it before storing in a cool place. Before applying warm the oil to lukewarm temperature.
- Aloe vera can heal wounds and is effectively used to treat burns. You can get aloe vera from the pharmacy or you can even rub an aloe vera leaf gently on the baby’s skin to give him relief from eczema.
- Cocoa butter promotes skin elasticity and is a good moisturizer due to Vitamin E content. Apply a small dollop of cocoa butter on your baby’s skin.
- Almond oil is rich in vitamins and contains oleic and ursolic acids, both of which have anti-inflammatory properties and is good for skin health. Apply this sweet smelling oil on your baby’s eczema and massage the area before and also after the baby’s bath to prevent the skin from drying.
3. Some Helpful Tips
- Keep your baby’s nails trimmed and put soft gloves on his hands at night so that he does not end up scratching the rash accidently.
- Avoid using toxic and caustic detergents which can aggravate the symptoms. Instead use laundry detergents which are free from any fragrance.
- Baby’s drool may aggravate the condition. To keep the chin and mouth area free from drools, apply petroleum jelly or use bibs.
For parents, it is a painful experience to see their newborn baby suffering from the pain and itching caused due to eczema. But, a few home remedies can take care and bring comfort to your child.
Are you a mother? If yes, then this article is for you. In this article, I've written about the "Top 5 Reasons to Use a Breast Pump to Supplement Breastfeeding" which is very important for every mother to know.
Preparing for the arrival of a newborn’ is not only an emotionally charged experience for parents but also a highly stressful one. This is because a new baby requires you to make some significant lifestyle changes and make a number of adjustments in your home.
Jogging with the child is fun and if you ask me there isn’t much difference between jogging with the stroller and without it. What is more, jogging with the baby has the extra bonus of having our beloved little angel by our side and we can share the joy of jogging together with them.
Parents often ask that question whether it is safe to buy children used items. The cost of completing a new layette for a baby is high. Crib, mattress, bedding, clothes, baby bath and all the rest of the items needed to maintain hygiene and play with the child.
Your baby’s first birthday is undoubtedly one of the most special occasions that calls for celebration. It is a significant milestone of your baby’s life as well as one of the most important landmarks of your life as it marks the completion of one year after the little nugget has walked into your lives.
Shocks of a planned pregnancy? Yea some lucky ones get this too! Ever heard? Well, medical term says ‘twins’. Being pregnant with twins tops the list of the shocks, confused! if call it a miracle or trouble? Who can understand this surprise of having twins, only who have got one, wait for two?
There are various reasons for these irritating diaper rashes, but, according to expert dermatologists, diaper rashes are the result of high level of moisture and wetness and in the baby diaper.