Management of Diabetes in Ayurveda with Diabetes Natural Remedies
Diabetes is characterized by an increase in blood sugar levels and frequent micturition. It is a type of Vataja Prameha (passing of excess urine in quantity and frequency) known as Madhumedha (excretion of sweet urine) or Asrava or Maharoga (a Major disease affecting almost all parts of the body) in Ayurveda.
Ayurveda treats diabetes using herbs (medicines), diet (pathya), panchakarma (bio purification) and exercise (vyaayam). Ayurveda believes in “Nidana Parivarjanam Chikitsa” which means that elimination of the causative factor is the first and foremost step in treating a disorder. The Ayurvedic practice is based on the approach that health and wellness depends on the balance between mind, body, and spirit.
Causes of Diabetes
- The causes of diabetes vary from being genetic to improper lifestyle. Laziness, sedentary life, oversleeping or lack of sleep, smoking, alcohol consumption, foods and drinks that increase the kapha dosha in the body, foods like meat, dairy, those with molasses or jaggery, foods rich in carbohydrates are some of the causes leading to this problem. These causes disturb the agni and aggravates the Kapha dosha which in turn vitiates the fat, muscle and watery elements of the body causing diabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes, also known as adult-onset diabetes comes from the inability of the body to use insulin, resisting the insulin produced by its own pancreas.
There are some Natural Remedies to manage diabetes. These include plant-based herbs like:
Aloe Vera and Ground Bay leaves
- A mixture of one spoon of Aloe Vera gel along with half a spoon of ground bay leaf and half a spoon of turmeric can be taken two times a day before meals. It helps in keeping sugar under control.
How to Take
- Aloe Vera is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.It can be mixed with buttermilk and taken on a daily basis in order to control blood sugar levels.
Bitter Melon or Bitter Gourd
- Bitter gourd taken daily helps in reducing the blood sugar levels, and also regulates the body’s use of insulin, thus helps in controlling diabetes naturally. It should be taken in juice form on empty stomach first thing in the morning. It can be taken as a dish too
How to Take
- Bitter gourd juice can be mixed with Amla juice (add half spoon of turmeric powder) and taken in the morning on empty stomach for excellent results.
- Bitter melon extract helps in managing symptoms of diabetes, including insulin resistance, heart complications, kidney damage, blood vessel damage, eye disorders and hormone irregularities.
- A herb so commonly found in the kitchen has the ability to lower blood sugar levels and improve sensitivity to insulin. Its consumption helps in decreasing plasma glucose levels, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. It also helps in increasing HDL cholesterol levels.
How to Take
- Cinnamon can be added to food, smoothies, and tea or may be taken as cinnamon essential oil in foods. It can be applied to the wrists and abdomen as oil mixed with half a spoon of coconut oil.
- One can prepare cinnamon water by mixing 3 spoons of cinnamon powder to one liter of water and heating it for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it every day for best results.
Fenugreek /Meethi seeds:
- Should be included in the diet on daily basis. One may take fenugreek seeds (grinded) mixed with white pepper and turmeric powder with a glass of milk two times a day for faster results.
How to Take
- Another way to take Methi seeds is by soaking them in warm water overnight and then chewing them first thing in the morning. Water can also be consumed.
- One can use methi powder while making other dishes.
- Jamun leaves may be chewed daily as it prevents the conversion of starch into sugar. The powder of Jamun seeds twice a day with lukewarm water also helps in lowering blood sugar levels. Jamun seeds have a positive effect on the pancreas.
How to Take
- One may store water in containers made from the trunk of jamun tree and consume that water in the morning for good results.
- 100 grams of Jamun fruit should be consumed daily for a diabetic patient.
- Purslane Seeds are very useful in treating diabetes.
How to Take
- A spoon of seeds of purslane should be taken with half a cup of water for 3 months.
- This will increase the body’s own insulin production and cure diabetes.
- The leaves of purslane may also be cooked and eaten as a dish.
- Ginseng is a very useful herb that helps in lowering blood sugar levels.It also increases the energy and boosts immunity.
Ginger and Garlic are good for diabetic patients.
- They lower blood sugar levels and improve digestion. They reduce insulin resistance in the body.
Turmeric powder mixed with Amla powder
- Mix in a glass of warm water and taken on an empty stomach also help in managing diabetes.
- Neem leaves turned into paste can be taken with water every morning for managing diabetes.
- Milk Thistle is a herb which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be taken as a supplement.
Natural Tips to Manage Diabetes
- Apart from natural remedies, it is advised to take Vitamin C on regular basis. Vitamin C is easily found in foods like amla, orange, tomato, and blueberry. It helps in improving the blood sugar level.
- Fruits like berries and apples and vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, cabbage and carrots, gourds and squashes are good for diabetic patients.
- One may take the soup of sprouted horse gram, green gram, and barley.
- Pure, unflavored coconut water works great for diabetic patients as it helps in improving blood circulation and gives relief against symptoms of diabetes.
- It is very important for those suffering from diabetes to refrain from refined sugar, alcohol, dairy, and even foods containing gluten like whole grains. One needs to take rice, potatoes, bleached flour, red meat and sweet fruits in a limit.
- Leading an active and stress-free lifestyle helps in faster recovery.
- A diabetic patient should never skip meals. They need to eat on time.
What is Fasting Insulin? How it is significant in the early detection of Diabetes? Why we are being bombarded these days about Ayurveda? Ayurveda is "Veda about herbs" It means "Ayushman bhav with knowledge of herbs, meaning thereby, a book that helps you to live longer, in a healthier style.
High Blood sugar occurs when your body doesn’t produce enough insulin or even when the body cannot use insulin well to transport sugar from the blood to cells. Although there’s no known treatment for this condition, there are a couple of things you can do which impact directly on your blood sugar levels in a positive way.
Alcohol, refined sugar, genes, decelerated metabolism, and further origins of concentrated sugar in your blood add onto glycemia and widely spread 21. century disease. Processing the sugars and starches turns uneasy; urination becomes more frequent; and your thirst after liquids abnormal - any similar sign resembles a silent language, such as the fatigue or losing weight.
Diabetes can lead to various serious illnesses, including itching, heart attack, blindness, nerve damage, stroke, impotence, and even amputation of a limb. Taking pills cannot always guarantee a permanent cure. Opt for safe and secure Ayurvedic treatment that provides a long-term cure without any side effects.