Why is Diabetes Best Treated the Ayurvedic Way?
Owing to today’s stressful and demanding lifestyle, diabetes has become a common disease in almost every household. Diabetes mellitus refers to a chronic metabolic disorder where the body is incapable of making suitable use of glucose, which results in high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) and sugar in urine (glycosuria).
According to Ayurveda, Diabetes or Prameha, are of 20 types. 10 of those are caused by Kapha, 6 from Pitta, and 4 from Vata. All of these forms, if not treated, ultimately develop into Diabetes Mellitus or Madhumeha.
Since diabetes is a disorder of metabolism, it can’t be fully treated by just controlling sugar levels. Ayurveda, in contrast to modern medicines, treats diabetes in a different and more effective way. Through exercise, proper diet, and panchakarma ( bio-purification methods), it revitalizes the body to make sure sugar levels are balanced and no further complications occur.
Causes of Diabetes:
There can be various causes which may lead to diabetes depending on health, environmental factors, ethnicity and family history.
- Bacterial/ viral infection
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Increasing age
- Mental stress
- Lack of exercise
- Excessive sleep
- Improper diet- chemical toxins in food or diet escalating Kapha dosha like rice, potatoes, fats, and sugar.
- Cushing’s syndrome: Increased production of cortisol hormone increases the blood glucose levels resulting in diabetes.
- Glucagonoma: It causes a lack of balance between levels of glucagon and insulin production.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): One of the prime causes being obesity-linked insulin resistance, PCOS can cause type 2 diabetes, i.e., temporary diabetes during pregnancy owing to hormonal changes.
Symptoms of Diabetes:
- Frequent urination
- Urinary infections
- Vaginal infections
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Extreme levels of hunger and thirst
- Excessive sweet taste to the mouth
- Blurred eyesight
- Slow healing of cuts and wounds
- Numbness of feet and hands
- Burning of soles and palms
- Skin infections
- Abrupt and unexplained fatigue or depression
Home Remedies for Diabetes:
There is a very simple Ayurvedic cure available for diabetes that is not only inexpensive but very effective as well
- Methi Seeds: A combination of methi ( Fenugreek) seeds and Ayurvedic herbs is a great cure for diabetes. Grind turmeric and methi seeds in a glass of milk and have it twice a day. You can also soak methi seeds overnight in some warm water and chew them in the morning. Chapattis with methi powder is another option.
- Jamun Seeds: Chewing on jamun leaves can prevent starch from converting into sugar. Grinding jamun seed powder in some lukewarm water and having it twice a day is also a good cure.
- Bitter Gourd Juice: Considered one of the best remedies for diabetes, you can take the juice of bitter gourd on an empty stomach daily in the morning. Grind it after removing the seeds and add some water to it. For the juice, sieve it. You can also make a simple dish by cutting it into small pieces and adding mustard oil, green chili, onion, and salt for taste.
- Snake Gourd: Prepare a concoction of equal parts Neem, the stem of Guduct, the fruit of embolic myrobalan, and snake gourd ( Patola- a type of small cucumber) and have it thrice a day for best effect.
- Aloe Vera and Ground Bay Leaf: Make a concoction of 1-2 tsp of turmeric and ground bay leaf and 1 tsp of Aloe Vera and have it twice a day. It helps in controlling blood sugar level.
- Cinnamon Powder: Add 3-4 tsp of cinnamon powder to 1 litre of water and heat it for about 20 minutes. Strain the mixture, cool it and drink it every day. It is very helpful in lowering blood glucose levels in Type 2 diabetic patients.
- Amla: Amla has chromium mineral that makes the body more responsive to insulin and regulates carbohydrate metabolism. Take amla fruit powder twice a day. Having amla juice with a dash of turmeric powder in the early hours is also equally effective.
- Triphala: It is a combination made of Ayurvedic herbs like Hairtaki, Bibhitaki, and Amla. Take equal parts of barberry root and Triphala and add 20ml concentrated liquor form of moth and colocynth each. Add 4gm of turmeric powder and have it twice a day to lower blood sugar levels.
- Vijaysar Churna: Leave cubes of Vijaysar Churna in water overnight and drink it the next morning on an empty stomach. You can also take it in powder form twice a day to control diabetes.
Ayurveda may take some time to work because it works at a deeper level and offers a permanent cure. For a healthy life, maintain a good lifestyle and take help of Ayurvedic treatment to cure diabetes at the root cause level.
What is Fasting Insulin? How it is significant in the early detection of Diabetes? Why we are being bombarded these days about Ayurveda? Ayurveda is "Veda about herbs" It means "Ayushman bhav with knowledge of herbs, meaning thereby, a book that helps you to live longer, in a healthier style.
High Blood sugar occurs when your body doesn’t produce enough insulin or even when the body cannot use insulin well to transport sugar from the blood to cells. Although there’s no known treatment for this condition, there are a couple of things you can do which impact directly on your blood sugar levels in a positive way.
Alcohol, refined sugar, genes, decelerated metabolism, and further origins of concentrated sugar in your blood add onto glycemia and widely spread 21. century disease. Processing the sugars and starches turns uneasy; urination becomes more frequent; and your thirst after liquids abnormal - any similar sign resembles a silent language, such as the fatigue or losing weight.
Diabetes is characterized by an increase in blood sugar levels and frequent micturition. It is a type of Vataja Prameha (passing of excess urine in quantity and frequency) known as Madhumedha (excretion of sweet urine) or Asrava or Maharoga (a Major disease affecting almost all parts of the body) in Ayurveda.