The Importance of Breathing While Performing Yoga Poses
Several human beings are highly in awe of the science of Yoga, one for its unbelievable powers to heal the sufferings and second for its ability to teach the art of deep breathing. Learning to breathe from full lung capacity is one of the best outcomes that practitioners reap from doing yoga.
Breathing is vital for living and wellness of life. And, breathing is highly important during the practice of yoga poses to amplify the asana performances. Having an adequate knowledge about when to inhale and exhale is crucial in a yoga practice. Awareness and use of the breath within the yoga postures offer detoxification and the most refreshing experiences.
Psychologically, the synchronization of breath with the yoga postures transforms the medulla oblongata to cerebral cortex -- a state where we are aware and magic happens. Mentally, the flow of prana within the body unlocks the emotional blockages freeing the practitioners from emotional distress. Anatomically, the breath is closely linked to the physical structure. Breath awareness diminishes joint compression and postural imbalances.
The correct implementation of yogic breathing techniques during the asana practices support the movements and deepen its rewards. Here are some guidelines to be followed during yoga practices:
1. Inhale to expand the front body: Deep inhalations expand the chest and abdomen area. Practice heart-opening yoga poses like camel pose, bow pose etc., intelligently synchronized with inhalations for health and vitality.
2. Compress the body on exhalations: Forwarding movements and twists should be practiced on exhalations because these yoga postures compress the body areas of chest and abdomen. Any contradiction can adversely affect the body.
3. Suspend the breath after inhalation in static positions: At the end of the inhalations, the chest and abdomen expand fully resisting further movements. So, suspend the breath after inhalations during holding asanas and not while moving.
4. Breathe Deeply: This is the golden rule of practicing yoga. The breath should guide individuals each movement in the yoga asanas. Ujjayi breathing can be practiced while performing the postures as it calms the mind faster.
Get to know the importance of integrating breathing techniques in asanas:
1. Breath and Length of Life: It is scientifically proven that the speed of breath dictates the length of life. Shallow breaths shorten the life of an individual while deep breath is the key to life longevity. The science of yoga teaches the art of deep inhalations and exhalations while performing the yoga asanas for expanding the length of life. “A yogi measures the span of life by the number of breaths, not by the number of years.” -- Swami Sivananda.
2. Purification and Balancing of Energy Channels: The human body is endowed with 72,000 energy channels responsible for diverse functions. The three most important being: Ida, Pingala, and Sushumna. The controlling of breath during the practice of yoga postures is vital for purifying and balancing the Ida and Pingala Nadis for activating the Sushumna Nadi through which Kundalini travels. Undergo yoga teacher training scholarship program for in-depth information on energy centers and channels.
3. Embrace Relaxation: Breathing while being in yoga postures bring the practitioners awareness to the areas that hold tensions or are not actively engaged in the practice of yoga postures. The conscious breathing reduces strain, pain, and deepens the pose to a greater extent. The attention to breath in yoga is important for progressing in the asanas.
4. Breath for Harmony: We are well aware that the sole aim of yoga is the union of body, mind, and spirit. But do we know the underlying reason for it? Breath is the force that influences our psychology and emotions and has the ability to harmonize them.
Learn the engagement of breath in the yoga postures, know how breath prepares the individual for meditation at a Yoga Teacher Training program. If financials are a concern then apply for Yoga teacher training scholarships.
Let the breath be your teacher to a quality life.
Explore this article and know why Yoga Holidays are the new fad and are here to stay for an era to come. Yoga has taken the fitness and wellness industry by storm and is working towards providing a complete body and mind health to the practitioners, and at the same time encourages them to live a quality and ailment-free life.
Explore the article to know the amazing yoga poses to increase the flexibility of your back. Yoga is an ancient health care system and works on the overall well being. Yoga works greatly on treating a variety of ailments, both internal or external.
With more and more people discovering the health benefits of practicing the miraculous science of yoga, this 5000- year old practice is increasingly making its way into the lives of millions. And, slowly it is seeping into the workplace. Yes, yoga for corporate people. Isn’t this just great, keeping yourself healthy and productive all at the same time. Learn the benefits of yoga for the workplace through this article.
Yoga is scientific as much as it is ancient. Read the article to come across the scientific reasons and benefits of a regular yoga practice. “Yoga, an ancient but perfect science, deals with the evolution of humanity. This evolution includes all aspects of one’s being, from bodily health to self-realization.”- B.K.S. Iyengar