Foods That Fight Asthma Symptoms - Best Diet Chart
Asthma is prevalent in all parts of the world. With the increasing population and mental stress, this condition is imposing a burden on the community of the developing countries as well.
Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in nearly all industrialized countries. An attack is experienced when the asthmatic child’s chronically inflamed bronchial airways, have become sensitized to certain environmental allergens (e.g. dust, smoke) and conditions (e.g. exercise, stressful emotions, cold weather) begin to overproduce mucus. This leads to swelling and muscle contraction that obstructs airflow and restricts breathing.
In childhood asthma, food allergy with manifestations in the skin, the gastrointestinal tract or respiratory tract is more common than inhalant allergy. The presence of food allergy is a risk factor for the development of symptoms of asthma in children aged 4 years
Causes of Asthma
- Passive exposure to tobacco smoke
- Pollutants such as pollen, dust, etc.
- Changes in weather
- Excessive intake of cold and sour foods at night.
Modern science is much advanced but it has limitations in treating the disease such as asthma, diabetes mellitus, etc. and provides only palliative treatment. In the treatment of bronchial asthma, extensive use of bronchodilators, antibiotics, steroids, and other measures are prescribed which are useful to some extent but to give permanent relief is still beyond their capacity. Moreover, the prolonged use of steroids may cause suppression of immune response, hypertension, and many other side effects.
On the other hand, in Ayurveda, with the proper implementation of an ancient approach, asthma can be cured with the help of herbs and home remedies without any side effects at all.
Foods that fight Asthma Symptoms
- Pippali or long pepper is a powerful rejuvenating herb. It acts as a stimulant for respiratory and digestive systems as well. The roots of this herb are used to treat respiratory infections.
How to use:
- Consumption of this powdered herb along with honey can provide relief from a cough associated with asthma.
- Ginger acts as a natural expectorant. It is used since ancient times to treat several respiratory infections and helps to control bronchial asthma attacks.
How to use:
- Freshly grated ginger along with little turmeric can be added to the milk while boiling. Take this milk twice a day.
- Cinnamon is a wonderful spice that helps in controlling bronchial asthma as it helps in clearing Kapha from the stomach and clears phlegm from the lungs.
How to use:
- ½ spoon of cinnamon powder and a little honey can be consumed twice a day to get rid of phlegm.
- Turmeric has medicinal properties which can help in treating respiratory disorders. It possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-purulent properties, therefore, it helps in treating cough, cold and other respiratory infections. It also plays a role in clearing air blockage due to bronchial asthma.
How to use:
- Add a little turmeric to the hot milk and drink it regularly and inhale the vapors of hot water and turmeric regularly. It helps in clearing the nasal blockage.
- Black pepper is yet another spice that helps in treating cough and cold associated with asthma.
How to use:
- Add a pinch of black pepper, turmeric, and ginger in milk and boil it for few minutes. Drink 1 cup of this milk twice daily to get rid of phlegm in the lungs.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Roots of ashwagandha have several medicinal properties. It acts as an adaptogen and is a rejuvenating herb. This herb plays an effective role in treating bronchial asthma.
How to use:
- Take 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha powder with milk daily.
- Being used for ages to cure several diseases including asthma.
How to use:
- Add freshly grated ginger along with few garlic buds in the milk and drink this mixture.
- Boil cumin seeds in water and inhale the steam. It helps in dilating the bronchial passage.
- Take 11 black pepper, 11 guava leaves, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup water.
- Put all these ingredients in a pot and boil it well,
- When this mixture reduced to 1 cup, drink this mixture on an empty stomach.
- Take this mixture regularly for six months to get rid of asthma.
- Take 5 gm ginger, black pepper, cardamom, clove, turmeric, cinnamon, and 30gram sugar.
- Grind the mixture to make powder.
- Take ½-1 teaspoonful and mix it with a small amount of honey. Take this mixture twice a day.
Diet for Asthma Patients
Foods to be avoided
- Avoid deeply fried and processed food having preservatives.
- Avoid sour food
- Avoid foods such as curd, buttermilk, lentils, dairy products such as paneer, cheese, etc.
- Avoid cold food items such as ice-creams, cold milk, cold drinks.
- Avoid taking bananas.
- Maintain a gap of an hour in between dinner and sleep.
- All fried, greasy and stale foods must be avoided as these foods are not easy to digest and thereby cause blockage in the respiratory channel and difficulty in breathing.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco chewing.
Foods to be taken:
- Pulses like old rice, wheat, barley, mung beans should be consumed.
- Honey, warm drinks like green teas or herbal teas should be taken.
- Sprouts, nuts, and seeds should be taken in moderate amount.
- Eat 5-7 crushed leaves of tulsi herb.
- Include fruits such as apples in the diet as they are the rich source of iron which helps to improve the overall capacity of the lungs. Oranges must also be included in the diet as they are the rich source of Vitamin C.
- Include green leafy vegetables in the diet because they are rich in iron, magnesium, and folate which helps to suppress allergic reactions.
- In addition to ayurvedic treatment, yoga can also help in bronchial asthma for improving lung capacity. Pranayama such as Nadi shodhan, kapal bhati are recommended.
During an attack, rub Nilgiri oil or pain balm on the chest and get fomentation and inhale mint and camphor
Some appetizers don't need a presentation and even more, they advertise themselves alone. One of these culinary achievements is the "Elena" fillet. No one can resist the pure delicacy covered with aromatic spices that trigger everybody's appetite.
Hypothyroidism is a condition marked by an ‘underactive thyroid.’ In this condition, the thyroid gland is unable to produce a sufficient quantity of certain vital hormones which are responsible for controlling the growth of the body, as well as its repair and metabolism.
Smoothies can be a powerful tool for weight loss and boosting your overall health, but most smoothies these days are doing more harm than good. This easy to follow guide will show you how to make a truly healthy smoothie in just 5 simple steps! You can take your smoothies to the next level by cutting out sugary fruit juice, adding in nutrient dense greens, powering up with protein rich foods, blending correctly, and boosting your smoothie with superfoods.
We obsess over our weighing scale readings. People with flat tummies and thigh gaps are envied and epitomized. Society has turned us into fitness freaks, people who would go to any lengths to let lose those extra pounds