Top 7 Home Remedies for Respiratory Infections
According to Ayurveda
- Ayurveda explains pathology of respiratory infections as immune dysfunction which is due to the formation of Ama (the undigested intermediate product) and due to the vitiation of Kapha dosha.
- Ayurveda has potent drugs possessing immune-modulatory, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and mucolytic effect which can be used for breaking the pathology of respiratory infection at various levels, and giving prompt symptomatic relief to the patient by eliminating the root cause of the disease.
- The Ayurveda approach for the management of respiratory infections is to potentiate the immune system of the individual in order to reduce the susceptibility towards the allergens and at the same time strengthening the digestive system. Thus, it is supposed that Ayurvedic herbs can prove beneficial and provide effective and long term solution to the respiratory infections and thereby improve the quality of life and work performance. Respiratory allergies can also be managed by simple home remedies. If we look into our kitchens, there are various things available which manage the respiratory infections.
- Turmeric is the best spice to treat respiratory infection. Take half tsp. of turmeric along with water empty stomach in the morning.
- Add 2 pinches of turmeric to 1 spoon of cow's ghee. Just before going out of home, apply a very thin layer of this mixture to the inner side of both nose (nostrils). It looks bit uncomfortable but has good results.
- Put a small teaspoon of turmeric over a hot pan and inhale its fumes. It helps to reduce inflammation of upper respiratory tract.
2.Take six cloves and add six black pepper seeds and 1 teaspoon of turmeric and make powder. Take this mixture with honey two times a day regularly.
3.Take half cut lemon, spread a pinch of turmeric and pinch of salt on its inner surface and heat the lemon for 1 minute and suck it.|
4.Take extract prepared from ajwain, black pepper and poppy seeds twice a day.
5.Chew 2-3 pieces of ginger with little rock salt before taking food as it will correct the digestion and prevents the formation of Ama in the body.
6.Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- .Take 2-3 amla (Indian gooseberry) fruits in a clean vessel. Add sufficient quantity of water so that the fruits can be immersed in it. Start boiling the amla fruits till the fruit pulp softens. Stop heating and remove the seeds and take the amla pulp into mortar and pestle. Grind to make a paste.
- Add 10 gms raisins and 10 grams ginger powder and 2 ml honey to it and mix well to make a homogenous mass. This remedy in the dose of 3-5 grams must be taken twice a day before food. All the ingredients which are used in this remedy are quite effective in balancing Kapha and Vata doshas.
- Raisins and Amla have rejuvenation properties as the patient suffering from chronic respiratory infections needs rejuvenation and ginger is an excellent anti-inflammatory herb useful in relieving excess sputum.
7.Take 10 basil leaves, add a pinch of turmeric, boil the leaves along with turmeric in water and take 1 cup of this extract.
- Always keep cloves and black pepper with you. Immediately keep two pieces of it in the mouth when there is an attack.
- Always take warm water bath.
- Regularly take inhalation of steam.
- Regularly go for a morning walk in warm weather.
- Do not sleep immediately after dinner.
Food to be Taken
- Take light food, lukewarm water, Kapha Shamak foods like—little spicy food, rock salt, legumes etc.
Foods to be Avoided
- Avoid heavy food, fermented foods, sour foods, cold foods, junk foods, non-vegetarian food items, sweets, bananas, ice-creams, cakes, milk and other dairy products, too hot food etc.
Tulsi is a magical herb. It is also known as the queen of herbs. From ancient times, most of the Hindu families worship tulsi plant and has great significance. Having a tulsi plant in the home is the best way to get rid of negative energies around you.
Learn how beneficial bacteria can help you lose weight & what you need to do to keep them healthy. Don’t let money spent on probiotic supplements go to waste when the ‘little helpers’ die-