Top 7 Home Remedies for High Cholesterol
Why it is important to maintain the healthy cholesterol levels. Cholesterol is a waxy substance present in blood which is an important component of our cell walls and other tissues. Elevated cholesterol levels are direct signs to the development of blood clot that may lead to a heart attack or stroke. Normally blood cholesterol levels should remain below 200 mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter of blood) but when it rises up to 240 or higher mg/dl it is measured as high cholesterol.
- Various factors like smoking, excessive drinking , obesity, aging (arteries get narrow with age), diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease also increase the risk of high cholesterol levels.
- Though with the help of healthy life style, proper eating habits and home remedies it is easy to manage the cholesterol levels.
Indian Gooseberry (amla)
- Being a rich source of vitamin C, antioxidants and minerals, Indian Gooseberry or amla is considered as an effective home remedy for high cholesterol levels. It acts as the wonderful natural hypolipidemic agent that reduces the lipid concentrations in the serum. It helps to reduce the total cholesterol (TC) level, LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) and triglyceride (TG) level
How to use
- Take 25-30 ml of amla juice daily.
- One can also consume the one – two pieces as a fruit on daily basis
- Many people are unaware about the cholesterol lowering properties of garlic. But it works well to lower the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) levels. More over garlic has the blood thinning properties which help to protect against the heart complications.
How to use
- Consume 2-3 cloves of garlic daily. Another option is one can also take roasted cloves as per taste.
- Consume garlic cloves as salad or one can use it as a spice in dishes.
- Use of ginger is an effective home remedy to reduce the cholesterol levels. It helps in the activation of the enzyme which enhances cholesterol absorption by body and drops it.
How to use
- Wash and peel the ginger.
- Grind it by adding half cup of water.
- Make a thin paste.
- Strain the ginger juice.
- Add the honey or jaggery as per your taste.
- Consume it twice daily on a regular basis for better results.
- Another option is mix pinch of ginger with one teaspoon of lemon juice in one glass of water. Consume it twice daily.
- Coriander seeds act as the detoxifying agents and help to remove the toxic substances from the body. To lower the cholesterol levels it is a wonderful home remedy. Coriander seeds have the hypoglycemic effects that help to lower the levels of total cholesterol, LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides.
How to use
- Take two teaspoons of coriander seed powder and add into one cup of water.
- Boil it and then strain.
- Drink it twice daily until you observe the noticeable change.
- Onions available in our kitchen are also an amazing home remedy to deal with the high cholesterol. Onions help to reduce the bad cholesterol levels and encourage the good cholesterol levels.
How to use
- Make onion juice. Then mix one teaspoon of each of onion juice and honey. Consume it one time daily.
- Chop the onion and mix with the o1/4 teaspoon of pepper into one cup of buttermilk. Take it on a regular basis for better results.
- One can use the onion as a salad.
- Being a rich source of vitamin C, folate and flavonoids, orange juice is considered as an effective home remedy for elevated cholesterol levels. It helps to improve the blood lipid profiles in people who have hypercholesterolemia. Consuming the orange juice on the daily basis decreases the LDL/HDL ratio. Besides of this it increases the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and triglycerides.
How to use
- Drink two- three glasses of fresh orange juice daily.
- Another option is you can consume few oranges daily.
- Cinnamon works well to reduce the cholesterol levels. It is an effective home remedy to reduce cholesterol in people who are suffering from type 2 diabetes.
How to use
- Boil one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in one cup of water.
- Consume it twice daily for best results.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is always hard work, but it is harder work as we get older. Our bodies change and that can make the challenges of being healthy harder to overcome. Our metabolism slows down, our joints become worn down and our muscles get weaker.
In today's society, people are confronted with countless industrially manufactured foods. Obesity, illnesses, and the desire for a healthy, balanced diet are frequent reasons to question your diet: which foods are compatible? How do I recognize fat and sugar traps?
From the analysis to the nutrition plan, the nutritionist must be able to advise his customers individually. Dietitians are not only confronted with the classic desire to lose weight, but also with food intolerances or mental illnesses that have to be taken into account.
A lot has been said at times about what to eat to have a healthy heart. Many nutrients are currently related to their protection. It is certain that a proper diet ensures longevity, quality of life, health and well-being. Poor diet, on the contrary, can be a cause of many serious diseases such as cardiac, strokes, diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension, etc.
At some point, we’ve all heard the term “superfood” before. Superfoods are by no means a new thing, but they have seen a spike in popularity in the past couple of years after being endorsed in medical journals
Olive oil has a 150-year history and can be proud of its traditions. The taste, aroma, and composition of this unique product are constantly being improved. But the high quality of this oil, made from selected olives from the Mediterranean, remains unchanged.
Juice slimming, low carb diets and activated carbon as a way to fast and detox on a budget. It seems that humanity will never tire of inventing innovative ways to get in shape. Or not very innovative, but definitely with something new, something that has never happened before.
Manuka Honey is one of the most popular types of honey that is natively produced in Australia and New Zealand. The honey is made when the bees pollinate the manuka bush, which is also known as Leptospermum scoparium. Honey is known for its medicinal value since ancient times
Autoimmune disorders (AI) happen when all the cells, whether good or bad, get perplexed and start attacking the body’s own cells. The antibodies produced by the immune system combats the cells that do no harm to your body. If ignored these enhance the inflammation and create havoc inside the body.