Research Shows that Searching for Information at Work Wastes Time and Money
While you may need that file or email correspondence to get your work done, the problem is that activity actually keeps you from accomplishing what you need to do. Why? Because you are literally inundated with hundreds of emails, attachments, contact requests and social media correspondence. That means you have to spend a lot of time sifting and searching to get to exactly what you need.
For many businesses around the world, that means a lot of wasted time and money that could have been used in a more productive and cost-efficient way. Numerous studies in the U.S. have found results that indicate that information searches during the workday practically kill the hope of any productivity:
- A recent IHS Knowledge Collections Webinar provided an interesting statistic that concluded that an engineer’s time spent searching for information has increased by 13% since 2002.
- SearchYourCloud revealed that “workers took up to 8 searches to find the right document and information.”
- Freelancers spend almost 30 minutes a day searching emails.
- A McKinsey report found that “employees spend 1.8 hours every day—9.3 hours per week, on average—searching and gathering information. Put another way, businesses hire 5 employees but only 4 show up to work; the fifth is off searching for answers, but not contributing any value.”Source: Time Searching for Information.
- Interact reported that “19.8 percent of business time – the equivalent of one day per working week – is wasted by employees searching for information to do their job effectively. Source: A Fifth of Business Time is Wasted Searching for Information, says Interact
- IDC data shows that “the knowledge worker spends about 2.5 hours per day, or roughly 30% of the workday, searching for information….60% [of company executives] felt that time constraints and lack of understanding of how to find information were preventing their employees from finding the information they needed.” Source:Information: The Lifeblood of the Enterprise.
In Europe, there are similar findings of how information searches waste money. For example, Lookeen shared this finding:
“If all employees are working a regular eight-hour workday and spend 25% (2 hours) of their time (often wasted) in the search for relevant information, then you have invested 60 Euros per employee – every day. So all total, over 13,000 Euros per employee per year has been spent, purely on a general search for relevant information. In our calculation, we assume conservatively that at least 1 hour per day will be spent on search, within the companies own data pool (emails/documents) per employee. Now we have 220 working days per year spent on search, where an employee is actively looking through internal documents for at least 1 hour per day.”
These time and cost findings really put it into perspective how much resources are really being wasted.
However, the good news is that there are companies like Findo that are working on changing this by applying artificial intelligence to the issue. Now, there is a way to put machine-learning to work to learn what you are looking for across all devices and channels by entering a few keywords. Then, the more you use it, the more it understands how you search and what you need. That means it gets better and faster at helping you locate a contact phone number, file, or email conversation.
Imagine the time and money that can now be saved plus all the extra minutes and hours available to get your work done. This gives us just a glimpse of what the future may be like as we continue to rely on data and digital information to drive all our work.
A successful digital marketing team comprises of a variety of experts with unique skills, knowledge, and experience. Online marketing is a career that combines knowledge of conventional advertising, web development, search engine optimization strategies, content writing, social media engagement, and more
Pick your suitable digital marketing strategy from a below-given list of latest strategies to enjoy digital success for your online marketplace. Check for more!
The business-to-business (B2B) and industry-focused aspects of the Internet of Things (or Industrial Internet of Things, IIoT) is one major segments of the market.
Any HVAC business owner is always hungry for more leads. The more leads you get will translate to more returns for your business, and that is the primary goal for any business. This simply means that you have to keep on checking and developing your Company's HVAC lead generation strategy to maintain a high profile in the market.
By getting an AWS certification, you can easily validate your skills and expertise in the field of IT and make substantial contributions to the performance and growth of your organization. Having its certification under your belt, chances are that you can earn a far better income as compared to non-holders of it in the job market
If you are running a medical or healthcare firm, healthcare marketing may help you reach the potential clients who need your assistance. Like all other fields, digital or online marketing is an ideal mean of promotion for a healthcare firm or practitioner also.
In order to grab the attention of maximum patients via the medical or dental website, you need to focus on digital marketing. Here you will learn about the top six ways that will be helpful in marketing your healthcare clinic website.
Gone are those days of offline marketing. If you want to grow your business or become successful, you need to incorporate digital marketing in your mainstream business strategies. It does not matter whether you are a big business or a start up, you just cannot do without digital marketing these days.