12 Everyday Life Choices to Prevent Lung Diseases
Lungs are usually taken for granted by us however they keep us well and alive. Most of us prioritize getting healthier and the health of lungs rarely crosses our minds. Now it’s the need of the time that we change it! The rate of lung diseases and respiratory ailments is much more in number than we assume. The graph of deaths from respiratory disease is growing with every passing day. You must keep in mind that, just like every other organ, i.e. heart, muscles, joints, etc, your lungs also age with time. The strength and flexibility of the lungs are lost with time, making breathing difficult. The environment now is not as healthy and clear as previous times. Raised level of pollutants in the air makes it tough for the lungs to work and gradually causes a decline in their function. So it is the need of time to pay attention to lung health and prevent it from future hazards. In this article, we will be learning about 12 everyday habits and life choices that can make difference and help you prevent various lung diseases.
1. Say no to Smoking
- Smoking increases the risk of various lung diseases and lung cancer as it damages the lungs hugely. Smoking material contains certain carcinogen and other toxins which are released by their combustion and damage the lungs.
- Never smoked—Great
- Still smoking—Its never too late, quit now!
2. Exercise Without Fail
- Other than to quit smoking, exercise is one of the most important things that you must follow regularly to keep your lungs healthy. Along with the body, exercising keep your lungs in shape too. This is because while exercising your lungs also work out as when you exercise your muscles need more oxygen, the heart beats faster, and to fulfill this need your lungs to work harder. Building up the strength of the lungs prevents various diseases and aging.
3. Keep House Clean
- Try to keep the house clean as dust, pollen, pet dander, mold, construction material, air fresheners, and dust can pose risk to the lungs if remain for a long time. Avoid using products present in aerosol forms like certain hair spray and room fresheners. Also always use an exhaust fan while cooking.
3. Minimize the Outdoor Air Exposure
- As we all know about the degraded level of quality of the air presently. Numerous air pollutants and microbes are present in outside air whose long exposure can make you very sick. Minimizing the exposure can help to a certain level or you should use a mask while going out that prevents exposure to these toxic substances.
4. Wash Hands Regularly
- Washing hands regularly helps in keeping germs at bay. Use soap and water to wash hands regularly and avoid hand sanitizer—unless very important. Washing hands is so important as most of the common infections are spread through hands and keeping them clean decreases the chances to a certain extent.
5. Simple Deep Breathing
- Taking shallow breath let your lungs expand only to small portion while breathing deeply helps to expand lungs fully and a good oxygen exchange occurs. It increases the minimum amount of air exhaled from the lungs at once.
6. Maintain a Good Posture
- Sitting curling inwards or compressing the chest, gives a too little room for your lungs to expand. Lungs are the soft organ that gets the area depending upon the position of your chest. So try to sit straight and let your lungs expand fully. While sitting on a chair, lean a bit backward and breathe deeply, let your lungs expand as it will help in improving the functioning of your lungs.
7. Drink More Water
- Drinking a good amount of water is great for all of your body and lungs are not any exception. There are mucosal linings in the lungs which when you gulp more and more water, stay hydrated and less water can make them dry and prone to infection.
8.Laugh Out Loud
- No, I don’t mean the abbreviation of LOL here! Laughter is great medicine. You must have heard this phrase and it’s true like anything. Laughing exercise can help you boost the stamina and function of your lungs. Along with strengthening the muscles of the abdomen, this exercise enhances lung function. While laughing hard the stale air present in the lungs is removed and a room is made for the fresh air to enter the lungs.
9. Diet on mark
- Taking a good diet is necessary for the lungs as well. For making your lungs stronger, preventing infections, and delaying the aging process it is necessary you take a good diet. Take a good amount of fiber from things like nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables. Protein is also necessary to enhance the strength of respiratory muscles. So include eggs, milk, meat, cheese, nuts, and peas in your diet.
10. The Power of Pranayama
- This form of Yoga is best for maintaining good healthy working lungs. It is a type of breath control exercises which is practiced along with meditation or yoga postures. Pranayama relieves stress, relaxes the body, and promote mindfulness. Kapalbhati is best for Lung health.
11. Vaccination is Must
- This is a must for elderly people because many due to increasing age they become more vulnerable to these common lung infections. So better take prevention then falling prey to them. There are certain vaccination shots in which you must consult your physician and take them.
As per Ayurveda, an efficacious treatment of any disease is possible only when we take care of the three essentials of life, that are called Three Pillars of Ayurveda. In the above part, we have already discussed the lifestyle tips which can help us to prevent lung diseases. But, besides this, we should follow the effective Diet for the Prevention of Lung Diseases.
- Pippali (Piper longum)- Pippali is being used as a herbal remedy for ages and has been proving to treat respiratory troubles successfully. Its anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties do wonder for lung health. Regular use of pippali relieves the nasal congestion and clears the mucus.
- Vasaka (Adhatoda vasica)- Vasaka is a storehouse of multiple medicinal properties that helps in enhancing bronchodilation, treating lung disorders like tuberculosis, bronchitis, and other lung diseases. It stimulates the bronchial system resulting in the expulsion of excessive phlegm from the throat.
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)- The root of licorice has a vital demulsifying action that soothes the irritation of the throat and prevents the respiratory system from various infections. Proper use of this herb promotes the secretion of healthy mucus and helps in clearing the nasal passage.
- Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata)- Leaves and root of Kalmegh herb are the time tested remedies that help in treating respiratory troubles. Owing to its anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antioxidant properties Kalemgh makes a perfect remedy to be used for enhancing lung health.
All the guidelines and remedies given in this article can help you boost the lung's healthy and prevent infections to a certain level. However, if the disease pertains and worsens over time do consult your doctor.
The COVID19 vaccine supply chain has a decisive role to play in enabling efficient vaccination to people. But, the current supply chains are broken and diminished in many cases, posing challenges to effective vaccine distribution.
There are different kinds of gastrointestinal conditions, which can cause abdominal pain in patients that can develop into becoming a chronic type of pain. This pain is in most cases accompanied by other symptoms, which include diarrhea, cramping, constipation or bloating.
When people are not aware of the diseases they may have, it is difficult to notice the problem in time. Disinformation leads to the neglect or wrongful treatment that only worsens the situation. It’s especially for a delicate problem such as hemorrhoids.
Toxic synovitis is a condition that commonly occurs in children and presents itself with hip pain, which is usually only temporary. It is more common in boys and in general affects mostly children in the age of three to eight. As mentioned, it is in most cases temporary and goes away by itself in one to two weeks.
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough amount of hormones needed for the body. There are many glands in the body, the thyroid is one of gland located at the base of the neck. It is a small butterfly-shaped gland.
Muscular dystrophy is a disorder which leads to the gradual disintegration of the muscles of the human body. The basic cause of this disorder is quite complicated but still, studies are going on in order to cure this disease. In recent times the stem cell technology has created a buzz in the medical field.
The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland located at the base of your neck and is seen in a butterfly shape. As shape indicates, thyroid gland has two lobes connected by a tissue called isthmus.