10 Effective Home Remedies to Treat Chikungunya Fever
Chikungunya is a viral disease which is caused by the bite of infected Aedes mosquitoes. Due to the little knowledge about the disease, it has caused a lot of panic among people. It is seldom life threatening. The most painful aspect of chikungunya is the period of pain and swelling in the joints. This is due to the response of one's own immune system to the parts the joints. This is known as an auto-immune response. This is most commonly experienced by older people because if they have a pre-existing arthritic tendency, they suffer badly. This infection has become prevalent these days and affecting lives of hundreds and thousands.
Ayurvedic view of chikungunya fever
In Ayurveda, it is known as sandhi jwara that literally means 'fever of the joints'.Chikungunya fever is considered as vata dosha disorder. In chikungunya, Ayurveda believes in enhancing the immunity of an individual. Thus, Immunomodulator medications are prescribed that help to modulate the immune response of the body against antigens which inadvertently affect the joints. Ayurvedic treatment helps to reverse the inflammatory process as well as prevents the tissue damage. Medicines to improve immunity, medicines to reduce fever and treatment to bring down muscle pain, nausea, fatigue, rash and headache are given in Ayurveda along with rejuvenation medicines.
Allopathic treatment options are only symptomatic for mitigating the pain and fever along with anti-inflammatory drugs, in such cases convalescence cause prolonged joint pain which may require analgesics along with long-term anti-inflammatory therapy.
There is a slight difference between the symptoms of dengue and chikungunya. The most distinguishing feature of dengue is bleeding. Both are caused by viruses but they are different viruses. Chikungunya is caused by an Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus while dengue is caused by Flavirideae flavivirus. Joint pain resulting from chikungunya may last for years.
Diagnosis- Chikungunya fever is diagnosed on the basis of serological tests like ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays) for detection of antibodies like IgG and IgM and RT- PCR (Reverse Transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction). These tests are used to detect the presence of virus in the blood.
A study by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri has found that symptoms and blood test results of patients with chikungunya is similar to that of rheumatoid arthritis patients.
What are the symptoms of chikungunya?
- Severe joint pain
- Muscular pain
How chikungunya spreads?
- Several varieties of viral infections are spread through droplets discharged into the atmosphere by the sneezing of the infected patients.
- It is important to note that sometimes, post chikungunya affects multiple joints leaving a person debilitated for a long time so proper treatment is necessary.
Some key points about chikungunya-
- It is a viral disease.
- Mosquito control is the only effective prevention technique.
- Usually non- fatal
- Currently, there are no vaccines available.
- Transmission is only through mosquito bite not from human to human.
Prevention of chikungunya fever:
Currently, there is no vaccine available for Chikungunya so prevention is the best option. The best prevention is not to get a bite from a mosquito. Precautions should be taken to reduce the risk of mosquito bites.
- Use mosquito nets during sleep
- Keeping a tulsi plant (Ocimum sanctum) prevents the mosquito to breed around your home as it flies with the fragrance of tulsi leaves.
- Use of cream or spray that can be applied on the skin. Local application of coconut oil on arms, knees, legs is also recommended to prevent the mosquito from biting on open areas.
- Drain all the water collected around the house.
- Ensure that drainages are either closed or chemicals are sprayed which kill mosquito larvae.
- Turmeric(curcumin longa)- Turmeric is natural anti-inflammatory due to the presence of alkaloid curcumin. It has strong anti-oxidant properties thus very useful in treating chikungunya.
- Ginger- It contains naturally occurring analgesics, which mimic Non- Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs(NSAIDs). Ginger is anti-inflammatory thus provides relief in chikungunya.
- Vitamin c- Vitamin C has antioxidant properties. It helps to flush out toxins from the body. Sources of Vitamin C are- Amla(Indian gooseberry), oranges, lemon etc.
- Leafy green vegetables- They are useful as they are a rich source of iron and vitamin E among other nutrients. One must include leafy green vegetables in a diet to fight chikungunya.
- Massage with sesame oil is very helpful to reduce the symptoms of pain in the body due to chikungunya.
- Giloy(tinospora cordifolia) is an immunomodulator. Thus, Giloy and Ginger boiled in water to make a decoction. It can be taken for 1 week thrice a day.
- A decoction of neem, tulsi, giloy, Ginger should be taken thrice a day.
- Ashwagandha powder(withania somnifera) to be taken daily with milk.
- Local application of garlic paste or clove oil on the painful joints for providing relief from pain.
- Chewing tulsi leaves (Ocimum sanctum) helps in providing relief from chikungunya.
- Adequate rest is necessary.
- Take fine powder of Haritiki (Terminalia chebula),This is to be consumed along with warm water.
- Drink fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Don't take aspirin and other Non- Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) until dengue can be ruled out to reduce the risk of bleeding.
- A mixture made up of honey and lime is also beneficial.
- Since there is no cure for chikungunya in modern medicine, medicines are prescribed for symptomatic relief, these home remedies will prove very beneficial as these are recommended to build up immunity and to reduce pain and inflammation.
Various Ayurvedic combinations like- Sanjivani Vati+ Amritarishta(4-6 weeks), to reduce inflammation( Yograj guggul, Vatari guggul), to restore energy after the fever is relieved( Ashwgandharishta, Balarishta 2 times a day), Shilajit capsules etc.
Oil for the application can be used after the fever is relieved to improve joint strength and relieve pain. For kids below 7 years of age and suffering from chikungunya will have to strictly follow the advice of a doctor. In children, 5 ml Amritarishta + 5 ml water can be administered after meals along with medicines prescribed by a doctor to bring fever under control. In case, if a child suffers from joint pain after the fever is relieved, then local application with oil can be done to relieve pain.
One of the leading causes of death from all over the world is cancer. Loss of muscles and malnutrition puts a negative impact on the health and survival of cancer patients. Cancer cells grow rapidly that disturbs the normal functioning of healthy cells and also affects the system of the body.
The teenage strikes between 13 to 19 years and carries numerous changes in the various aspects of life. The body undergoes lots of hormonal changes due to puberty which results in changing behavior, stress, anxiety, depression, and many other issues
With the outbreak of infectious Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) having triggered fear and anxiety among people worldwide, it is important to stay calm and follow the Government’s regulations pertaining to the countrywide lockdown to control the spread of the disease.
With the latest outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, people are desperately looking for ways to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. One of the topmost concerns of being safe in this pandemic-like situation is to keep yourself immune from the deadly “Novel Coronavirus.”
Hiking is a fantastic pastime enjoyed by millions of people. It provides you with opportunities to enjoy nature, get some exercise, and spend time with friends. Knowing what snacks to bring along can help ensure you enjoy your adventures without feeling hungry or getting sick.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is always hard work, but it is harder work as we get older. Our bodies change and that can make the challenges of being healthy harder to overcome. Our metabolism slows down, our joints become worn down and our muscles get weaker.
In today's society, people are confronted with countless industrially manufactured foods. Obesity, illnesses, and the desire for a healthy, balanced diet are frequent reasons to question your diet: which foods are compatible? How do I recognize fat and sugar traps?
From the analysis to the nutrition plan, the nutritionist must be able to advise his customers individually. Dietitians are not only confronted with the classic desire to lose weight, but also with food intolerances or mental illnesses that have to be taken into account.
A lot has been said at times about what to eat to have a healthy heart. Many nutrients are currently related to their protection. It is certain that a proper diet ensures longevity, quality of life, health and well-being. Poor diet, on the contrary, can be a cause of many serious diseases such as cardiac, strokes, diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension, etc.