A List of Responsibilities of a Software Tester
Given how entitled our lives have become with the progress in technology, it is not that surprising that most of us are oblivious to the significant contribution of software testers in our day to day life in this digitized existence. From the apparent point of view, the job of a software tester may seem like a pretty straight forward, single faceted affair, but in reality, the roles and duties of a software testing engineer is much more layered and complex. Technology is something that almost the entire world is familiar with but many of us don't realize often that manual software testing services are a real thing and our Smartphone (or PC or tablet...you get the point) would have been a dead mass without their existence. To know about these software testers and their whereabouts in a little more details, let’s start from the beginning.
What is software testing?
Software testing is a procedure where a program or application is run by a technician to look for presence of any bugs. Testing is also important prior to the implementation of the program in order to ascertain their integrity of design as well as their quality and to ensure that the programs meet the requirements of the client.
Software testing is conducted in a couple of different steps:
- Static Testing: It is carried out during the process of verification. It is a cost effective way of testing as it does not require executing the code in order to look for errors, it just reviews the documents and static analysis.
- Dynamic Testing: In this procedure, a program is executed to observe the final result of the test runnings. It is carried out while the validation process occurs.
- Planning: It is important to plan what testing methods are to be used and how the activities are going to be controlled.
- Preparing: Once the testing method is selected, testing conditions and testing cases are to be designed.
- Evaluation: During this step, the software’s performance is checked and evaluated and if the program fulfills the criteria of completion, it is given a green flag.
Why is testing necessary?
By virtue of the essential difference between human beings and a well programmed machine, all of us are bound to make mistakes in whatever we do. And as of 2017, humans are still the ones behind the designing and programming of softwares. So it is quite natural that a software program must contain some glitch in it after being built for the first time. This is where testing becomes necessary-to make sure that the programs the developer conjured up with his lost appetite and sleep deprivation does not fall flat on its behind upon implementation. Hence, the importance of software testing goes as following:
- To point out the errors made during the development of the program
- To make sure of a certain quality standard of the software
- To increase the customer’s confidence on as well as their satisfaction from the program
- To ensure that the application does not result in a failure. Or else it will take a toll in the later phases of development.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a software tester?
The very obvious responsibility of a software tester is to test the programs and report the bugs. During the test planning and preparation stages of testing, testers are to review and construct test plans along with analyzing and assessing the requirements of the design.
Apart from their obvious functions, software testers are given additional responsibilities depending on the companies they work for. Some of these add ons include:
- Understand the requirements of the software and clarify doubts regarding the same
- Learn about the software that is being tested and all the other softwares that are associated with it
- Understanding the entire plan of the master project
- Create required test data for the procedure of testing
- Maintain test logs
- Design specific cases of testing according to the requirements
- Create testing plans
- Organize the necessary test beds of hardware, software and network.
- Report the bugs to the stakeholders
- Inform the stakeholders of the test results
- Attend to bug reports that have been returned
- Update the cases of testing as defects are discovered
- Conduct a re-test of the resolved bug issues
- Update the automation of tests depending on the updated cases of testing
- Report the progress in work to the project manager or team lead
- Help the team out through providing them with inputs
The responsibilities differ depending on the firms that one is associated with. For example, smaller companies are able to hire lesser people and hence an individual employed in such a company has to tackle much more responsibilities than the employees of a bigger company.
Overall, manual software testing services are surely not a piece of cakewalk. More or less software testers are burdened with more complicated tasks than their literal designation. Without them, the world of technology would be crumbling apart in a day. So now for the next thanksgiving, you know whom to add to your list of gratitude.
Also read on How to Save Time in Manual Software Testing?
Even after 20 years of its evolution, Java continues to dominate the programming vertical for application development, whether it is web or mobile. There are several factors inherent to Java that establishes its superiority in the technology world and offer Java developers with the flexibility for adaption.
Migration has always been one of the most important parts when running a business. Although, DBX to PST file conversion is not so easy task. Alternatively, there are various tools available in an online market, but many users are still competing for finding a suitable solution.
Legacy Migration is gaining popularity but it is tougher than enterprises realize. The real challenge is establishing a smoother symbiosis between cloud & on-premise applications and processes in a hybrid ecosystem. Enterprises need to eliminate rogue silos and ensure continuous connectivity between applications to align applications with business objectives.
There is a quiet revolution going on in the compliance departments of banks and financial institutions all over the world. The latest technology advancements in compliance management are allowing companies to become faster and better at compliance than it was ever before.
Marketing is a very strategic field and the marketers have been to at the top of their game to attract the right customers for their companies when it comes to attracting the right customers for the organizations, a firm does not only need good human resources, but it also needs very powerful marketing tools as well.
Gеttіng аn аррlісаtіоn іdеа іѕ nоt еnоugh tо аррrоасh аn iOS App Development Company tо dеvеlор уоur рrоduсt. Yоu ѕhоuld аlѕо choose thе rіght аррlісаtіоn development рlаtfоrm, whісh іѕ important fоr уоur рrоduсt tо bе аblе tо mееt уоur business nееdѕ.
Marketing is not as easy as it looks, especially when the competition is rising at an exponentially high rate. Therefore, the companies and the marketing professionals have to keep up their marketing game, in order to make an impact on the public.