A List of Responsibilities of a Software Tester
Given how entitled our lives have become with the progress in technology, it is not that surprising that most of us are oblivious to the significant contribution of software testers in our day to day life in this digitized existence. From the apparent point of view, the job of a software tester may seem like a pretty straight forward, single faceted affair, but in reality, the roles and duties of a software testing engineer is much more layered and complex. Technology is something that almost the entire world is familiar with but many of us don't realize often that manual software testing services are a real thing and our Smartphone (or PC or tablet...you get the point) would have been a dead mass without their existence. To know about these software testers and their whereabouts in a little more details, let’s start from the beginning.
What is software testing?
Software testing is a procedure where a program or application is run by a technician to look for presence of any bugs. Testing is also important prior to the implementation of the program in order to ascertain their integrity of design as well as their quality and to ensure that the programs meet the requirements of the client.
Software testing is conducted in a couple of different steps:
- Static Testing: It is carried out during the process of verification. It is a cost effective way of testing as it does not require executing the code in order to look for errors, it just reviews the documents and static analysis.
- Dynamic Testing: In this procedure, a program is executed to observe the final result of the test runnings. It is carried out while the validation process occurs.
- Planning: It is important to plan what testing methods are to be used and how the activities are going to be controlled.
- Preparing: Once the testing method is selected, testing conditions and testing cases are to be designed.
- Evaluation: During this step, the software’s performance is checked and evaluated and if the program fulfills the criteria of completion, it is given a green flag.
Why is testing necessary?
By virtue of the essential difference between human beings and a well programmed machine, all of us are bound to make mistakes in whatever we do. And as of 2017, humans are still the ones behind the designing and programming of softwares. So it is quite natural that a software program must contain some glitch in it after being built for the first time. This is where testing becomes necessary-to make sure that the programs the developer conjured up with his lost appetite and sleep deprivation does not fall flat on its behind upon implementation. Hence, the importance of software testing goes as following:
- To point out the errors made during the development of the program
- To make sure of a certain quality standard of the software
- To increase the customer’s confidence on as well as their satisfaction from the program
- To ensure that the application does not result in a failure. Or else it will take a toll in the later phases of development.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a software tester?
The very obvious responsibility of a software tester is to test the programs and report the bugs. During the test planning and preparation stages of testing, testers are to review and construct test plans along with analyzing and assessing the requirements of the design.
Apart from their obvious functions, software testers are given additional responsibilities depending on the companies they work for. Some of these add ons include:
- Understand the requirements of the software and clarify doubts regarding the same
- Learn about the software that is being tested and all the other softwares that are associated with it
- Understanding the entire plan of the master project
- Create required test data for the procedure of testing
- Maintain test logs
- Design specific cases of testing according to the requirements
- Create testing plans
- Organize the necessary test beds of hardware, software and network.
- Report the bugs to the stakeholders
- Inform the stakeholders of the test results
- Attend to bug reports that have been returned
- Update the cases of testing as defects are discovered
- Conduct a re-test of the resolved bug issues
- Update the automation of tests depending on the updated cases of testing
- Report the progress in work to the project manager or team lead
- Help the team out through providing them with inputs
The responsibilities differ depending on the firms that one is associated with. For example, smaller companies are able to hire lesser people and hence an individual employed in such a company has to tackle much more responsibilities than the employees of a bigger company.
Overall, manual software testing services are surely not a piece of cakewalk. More or less software testers are burdened with more complicated tasks than their literal designation. Without them, the world of technology would be crumbling apart in a day. So now for the next thanksgiving, you know whom to add to your list of gratitude.
Also read on How to Save Time in Manual Software Testing?
Every small and large enterprise require some actionable insights to grow their business. Moreover, to get such ideas, it is necessary to gather the data from various sources that stored in different technology platforms.
Telemedicine is the remote diagnosis and treatment made by health professionals to the patients through web and mobile platforms. Telemedicine or say telehealth applications allow people to connect with the practitioners from anywhere without physical presence.
Round Robin is a strategy for scheduling territorial sales, which sounds not only as to music to most ears, but it is also a very interesting topic for understanding for users of easy to use CRM software.
Whether you are planning to arrange a seminar or conference, university alumni meeting, or recruitment for the company, you will need to cope with many things to keep everything streamlined. Moreover, you may have to deal with some last minute glitches which need teamwork and much workforce for making the event engaging and memorable
Many times, people are having queries related to secured PDF files having the owner password. Basically, these files are restricting them to edit and print PDF documents. Therefore, in such cases, it becomes necessary for the user to remove permission password from PDF documents.
When an injury or fatality happens at a workplace, it causes immeasurable suffering and problems to the employees & their families. Moreover, it costs the organizations large & inexorable expenses every year. To minimize these unwanted pains, companies are switching to the OHS (Organizational Health and Safety) management systems
You may know that the face detection software, self-driving cars, and voice controlled devices all are built using Machine Learning (ML) frameworks. In upcoming years, a whole set of next-gen products through ML will transform the way we create, use products and the approaches that are being used to develop software and applications.
Automated testing is one of the most efficient ways to create a high-quality application within the resources and tools available. Automated testing can help you save valuable time and in creating an automate error-proof testing procedure. But it isn’t that simple to automate your testing process and get results fast.
The world of eCommerce has become extremely competitive at this time. This is the era where eCommerce companies are at their peak. And, at the same time, the competition in the eCommerce industry is also increasing like anything.