How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Winter is more than just cold weather season, it can also be home flooding season. As a result of burst pipes due to freezing weather, many people end up with flooding in their homes during the winter months. This can cause more problems than just the pipe burst. If water leaks into the house mold and mildew can cause rot and respiratory problems. One thing can lead to another and cause a mountain of issues, not just now, but when everything thaws out. If this is in business, even more problems can occur depending on how large the building is and how many other issues are affected by the pipe issue.
There are some ways you can prevent this from happening with a few easy care steps.
- Insulate Exposed Pipes: Purchase some snap on foam insulation from the hardware store and insulate all water pipes in the basement, crawlspace, attic, and exterior walls if accessible. Don’t forget about joints attach pieces together with duct tape.
- Bleed Sprinkler Systems: If you have an automatic sprinkler system it will need to be shut off during the cold months before you do that you will want to bleed the lines of any water with compressed air.
- Laundry Room: Run a few warm water loads periodically to keep the pipes warm. If there is a faucet on an outside wall you will want to drip the faucet, this simply means turn the water on just enough so that the faucet drips to keep pressure and water moving through the pipes. This should be done with any faucet on an outside wall.
- Icemaker: If the water line to your fridge runs under your home keep your icemaker set to making ice to keep it running.
- Give Special Care to Sinks on Exterior Walls: If you have a sink on an exterior wall you will want to leave the faucet running just enough to drip to keep the pressure in the pipes. It is also good to leave the under sink cabinet doors open a crack to let the indoor air give heat to the under sink pipes.
- Garage: Leave the garage door closed during the winter.
- Basement: Close and weatherstrip exterior doors and windows in the basement.
- Outside Faucets: de-tach the garden hose and cover with insulated foam faucet covers.
Related Post: 15 Smart Ways to Save Money on Your Utilities
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Shut off the Water: turn off the main water valve to the house before doing anything. If the pressure of the water pushes frozen water through it could damage the pipe and then cause a break.
Open the Connecting Faucet: determine which faucet the pipe runs to and turn it to the on position to relieve built up the pressure.
Heat the Pipe: Using a low power heating device such as a hairdryer, electric heat tape, or space heater, apply heat to the frozen section of pipe. Start at the end near the interior faucet and work toward the exterior end.
Check for Leaks: When the pipe is thawed turn off all water to faucets and check for leaks or watch the water meter to see if water is still running, this will tell you if there is a leak.
Related Post: How to avoid winter freezing damage to trees
If Your Pipes Do Burst
In the event of a burst pipe and flooding in your home, you will want to shut off the water right away, call an emergency water damage restoration company, and begin removing as much water as possible while the pros are on their way.
If you're too late, you may need to contact an emergency water damage service.
It’s a widely known fact that house owners invest more money into kitchen renovations than on any other home-related venture. This is hardly surprising, considering that the kitchen is the heart and soul of your home and a source of great happiness
Commercial flooring is the type of flooring that covers commercial spaces, needs to be durable and hard-wearing – given that commercial spaces inevitably have more visitors and possibly even vehicular traffic.
A roof is one of the most important and yet commonly overlooked component of any building. Apart from providing support to the overall building structure, it goes through a lot when it comes to the unpredictable nature of Canadian weather.
Why have panel glides become such a popular style of window furnishing for both homes and offices? The overall design concept of these elegant panel glides offers great versatility and is usually available in a plethora of different colors and styles, making it a great fit for either a commercial or home interior.
Browsing for blinds and shutters and can’t seem to decide which one to get for an outdoor space? Find out why PVC plantations shutters in the trends are such a popular choice for so many, as well as some key information you should keep in mind when purchasing these stellar blinds to ensure you’re making a good investment!
Irrespective of whether you’re browsing for blinds and shutters in the market for your home or office, there’s a plethora of different designs, colors, and functionalities to choose from! With such an eclectic assortment of designs available, how do you know which blinds or awnings are the right ones for your unique need?
Property investment is for a lifetime and that is why you need to be very conscious while making it. There are many people who invest in building a perfect cottage at their favorite place to spend a holiday or for residential purposes. A cottage is a bit different from traditional houses and the size and features can vary depending on the requirements.