Blocked Eustachian Tube
Feeling defenseless against your clogged ear?
Assuredly, you have experienced some sort of “filled ear” on and off in your lifetime; and maybe it troubles you at frequent intervals. Therefore, naturally, you are seeking a swift handy remedy to get rid of it. The clogged ear (blocked Eustachian tube) is the blockade of a fine canal that extends from the middle part of your ear to your throat, named “Eustachian tube”. This tiny short tube balances the air pressure on either side of the eardrum, and could be blocked by infection, swelling, allergies, and a few other factors.
Causes of blocked Eustachian tube
The likely causes of your blocked Eustachian tube could be one of the following factors:
• Colds, infectious sinuses, and the flu can cause mucus and swelling. In these conditions, immediate medical treatment can prevent clogged Eustachian tube.
• Glue Ear
• Excessive wax in the ear
Symptoms of blocked Eustachian tube
Due to the before-mentioned causes, the Eustachian tube becomes somehow blocked. Therefore, air flow through the tube is hindered, which results in an imbalance in air pressure within your ear. Moreover, body liquids could be piled up in your ear that can lead to an infection. You may also have a sense of “fullness” in your ear and hear some internal unusual sounds like “bangs” and “bells”. You will also have pain, vertigo, and hearing and balance problems. Altitude changes could intensify your problem, e.g. in a flight.
When to see a doctor
It is crucial to treat your clogged ear. If your problem is being resolved by home remedies and simple methods, then there is no need to see a doctor. But if the condition remains or deteriorates, then it’s time to visit your doctor. You should always seek medical advice for systemic problems like the flu, allergies, sinusitis, and etc. Don’t use medications without consulting medical professionals. Always consult a doctor before you put anything into your ears. Finally, S\he may recommend surgical treatment to restore airflow to your middle ear.
Home remedies for blocked Eustachian tube (Ear clearing techniques)
If your problem with your Eustachian tube is not so serious, then there are handy remedies available at your home :( In more severe cases, you are required to visit an ENT specialist.)
• The Valsalva maneuver: In this technique, after a deep breath, you should try to blow “gently” the air in your lungs into your closed nostrils while you mouth is shut. After hearing a bang, your problem will go!
• The Toynbee maneuver: Take a little water into your mouth, and then swallow it while pinching your nose shut. Do that until you hear the pop sound.
• Jaw wriggle: Move your opened mouth from side to side swiftly and regularly until you feel relieved.
• Olive Oil: If the cause of your clogged ear is an accumulation of wax, then olive oil is the solution. It makes the wax soft enough to be easily removed. Put a few drops of lukewarm olive oil in your ear and wait for 10 minutes. Keep your head sidelong, and gently take the oil and wax out of your ear, using an ear bud. Mineral oil, baby oil, and glycerin could be indicated instead.
• Alcohol and apple cider vinegar: Put a few drops of a mixture of alcohol and apple cider vinegar in your ear while your head is sidelong. Wait about 10 minutes. Take them out with an ear bud.
• Warm Compress: In colds and sinus congestion, heat has the capability of relieving your pain and curing the tube stoppage. Just put a small warm towel on the affected ear for 10 minutes. The warmth will end the congestion that results in an unblocked tube.
• Steam: In colds, by taking the steam in, you can loosen the earwax and mucus that results in the relief of your pain. Just pour a few drops of lavender essential or eucalyptus in a large bowl containing steaming water. Take in the steam gently while you have a towel wrapped around your head. Continue until you feel relieved.
• Hydrogen Peroxide: Put “just” 2 drops of 3% of hydrogen peroxide in your ear. After 10 minutes, keep your head sidelong to permit the wax and the solution to come out.
• Other Remedies: "yawning", "gargling", and "chewing gum" may help relieve your ear problem.
Using wax removal agents is unnecessary in ears filled with fluid; otherwise, there is a chance of infection.
Never use sharp articles.
Clean your ears on a regular basis.
Rest in a semi-upward position while having an earache.
Use warm drinks instead of cold ones.
Papaya and fenugreek may be useful.
Keep your ears and head warm by using a hat.
No scuba dive
Warm showers showed to have benefits in clogged ear.
Garlic, onion, and pepper proved to be decongestants.
Warm drinks help relieve the ear stuffiness.
Chew gum while flying.
Treatments for blocked Eustachian tube
• Use decongestant sprays or drops: Ear drops have no effect in this case, due to the obstruction of the ear. Using nasal sprays or drops could be efficient. Spray the decongestant through your nose to the throat and try to take it in by taking deep sniffs. Be careful not to swallow the drug. In this stage, it is recommended to perform Valsalva maneuver.
• Take antihistamine tablets or nasal sprays: If the cause of the blocked Eustachian tube is an allergy, you may use antihistamines to sooth the allergic congestion. However, keep in mind that these drugs are not the first choice for treating the problem. Therefore, seek medical advice before using any steroid or antihistamine containing sprays. If you have an infected ear, then using antihistamines is contraindicated.
• Try steroid nasal spray: Other than ordinary nasal sprays that should not be used more than a few days, steroid or antihistamine containing sprays could treat the congestion of the tubes.
• Take antibiotics: Your Eustachian tube blockage may lead to earaches due to infection. In that case, you should ask your doctor for antibiotics. You have to take the medications according to your doctor's instruction and never leave your medication cycle incomplete.
• Take analgesics: Prescribed painkillers
• Surgery: In chronic cases, operational procedures are indicated. In myringotomy, an incision is made in the tympanic membrane (The eardrum) and the liquid contents of the middle ear are evacuated. Therefore, the pressure on both sides of the eardrum will be balanced.
No more bangs and bells in your ear!
By employing the above-mentioned recommendations, you will be able to cope with any form of clogged ear. So, follow them and enjoy your pain-free sweet life!
The COVID19 vaccine supply chain has a decisive role to play in enabling efficient vaccination to people. But, the current supply chains are broken and diminished in many cases, posing challenges to effective vaccine distribution.
Lungs are usually taken for granted by us however they keep us well and alive. Most of us prioritize getting healthier and the health of lungs rarely crosses our minds. Now it’s the need of the time that we change it! The rate of lung diseases and respiratory ailments is much more in number than we assume.
There are different kinds of gastrointestinal conditions, which can cause abdominal pain in patients that can develop into becoming a chronic type of pain. This pain is in most cases accompanied by other symptoms, which include diarrhea, cramping, constipation or bloating.
When people are not aware of the diseases they may have, it is difficult to notice the problem in time. Disinformation leads to the neglect or wrongful treatment that only worsens the situation. It’s especially for a delicate problem such as hemorrhoids.
Toxic synovitis is a condition that commonly occurs in children and presents itself with hip pain, which is usually only temporary. It is more common in boys and in general affects mostly children in the age of three to eight. As mentioned, it is in most cases temporary and goes away by itself in one to two weeks.
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough amount of hormones needed for the body. There are many glands in the body, the thyroid is one of gland located at the base of the neck. It is a small butterfly-shaped gland.
Muscular dystrophy is a disorder which leads to the gradual disintegration of the muscles of the human body. The basic cause of this disorder is quite complicated but still, studies are going on in order to cure this disease. In recent times the stem cell technology has created a buzz in the medical field.
The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland located at the base of your neck and is seen in a butterfly shape. As shape indicates, thyroid gland has two lobes connected by a tissue called isthmus.