Perspex or Acrylic Sheeting for Your Home
In the field of construction, furniture production, and other fields, materials based on polymers, complex high-molecular compounds, are used very often. This group of materials also includes perspex and acrylic. In this article, we will help you figure out what is the main difference between them and what to consider while choosing and purchasing it.
What is perspex?
Perspex is a colourless and transparent polymer made on the basis of poly(methylmethacrylate). It is high-quality plastic. Perspex can be dyed, tinted and, thanks to a wide range of operational features, is widely used in various industries.
Perspex sheets are gradually replacing ordinary glass, which is used everywhere but has a major significant drawback, such as poor impact resistance or fragility. It is a fairly common and highly demand material that has been produced and used in various fields for 70 years.
Therefore, we will consider in more detail the main pros of using it.
- Lightweight. Perspex is much lighter than ordinary glass. This simplifies the processes of installation and transportation of sheets of material.
- Strength, rigidity. Perspex does not break and does not crumble into small fragments, like ordinary glass.
- Environmental friendliness. Perspex is a safe material, which doesn’t have an impact on human health, it does not emit toxic substances, so it can be used both outdoors and indoors.
- Easy to work with. The material can be milled, cut, sanded even at home.
- Plasticity. During thermal heating, perspex acquires plasticity, which allows you to give it the necessary shape, preserving it after further cooling.
- Soundproofing. Perspex is great for reducing street noise.
- Light transmission. High transmittance (92%) does not change with prolonged use.
- Resistance to temperature changes and changes in weather conditions.
- Does not emit toxic gases. When ignited, it doesn’t emit toxic gases, which can not be said about other types of plastic.
- Moisture resistant.
- Low conductivity.
Despite the above advantages, perspex has some disadvantages that cannot be ignored:
- Highly flammable.
- Low resistance to mechanical stress. You can easily leave scratches that cannot be removed.
- Instability to certain chemicals. It is better not to wipe perspex with ordinary cleaning products containing alkali, alcohol, acetone. Since this can reduce transparency, lead to cloudiness.
What is acrylic?
Acrylic (acrylic glass) is a polymer plastic based on acrylic acids. Its optical uniqueness lies in the fact that it perfectly imitates translucent glass surfaces, while it does not have their pernicious drawback - fragility.
Pros of acrylic:
- Light transmission.
- Impact resistance.
- Easy to cut. You can cut out elements of various configurations, and also give them the necessary shape.
- Low thermal conductivity. The material is able to retain heat.
- Environmental friendliness.
Acrylic has a high level of wear resistance and is easy to clean, which is why acrylic is widely used in the field of bath production, especially since baths made of this material are also hygienic, as they do not accumulate microbial microflora. One of the main pros is that acrylic products don’t lose their original colour and possible scratches are can easily be removed by using sandpaper.
Cons of acrylic:
- Combustibility. It has a low flashpoint.
- Low hardness. The material is easily scratched.
- Local stresses. When bending sheets of material, large stresses arise, leading to difficulties in operation.
The similarities between them
The properties of the materials are very similar to each other. And the difference between them is not significant. A lot of it depends on the manufacturer, the raw materials and special additives used by it, which determines the quality and technical properties that you can see at the manufacturing stage. The main task of the buyer is to get acquainted with the production technology and manufacturer's guarantees in order to not get stuck with a low-quality material.
What are the main differences between perspex and acrylic?
Having understood that there is no particular difference between the materials, it is necessary to find out the main features of the production technology of both.
Depending on the manufacturing method, acrylic glass, having the same chemical composition, may have different properties. There are two manufacturing methods — casting method and extrusion method. For example, the material made by extrusion is more susceptible to high temperatures. And the deformations can occur at a lower temperature than with the second method. The material also has various shrinkage characteristics, so you should have that in mind while choosing.
The choice of material is affected by its scope and its main purpose.
While choosing perspex or acrylic, you are, in fact, choosing between the same materials, but you should focus on the purpose and conditions of use of the finished product since there are varieties of this kind of material with different parameters.
Perspex and acrylic are the best alternatives to ordinary glass. High-quality, reliable, and environmentally friendly products with a multi-year warranty, the properties of which convince us that it can be used for different purposes.
Sometimes, leaving an unaddressed plumbing issue for a long time can create a great inconvenience for your entire family. And choosing the right kind of Plumbers in this challenging situation becomes a headache!
When do you see professional concreters mixing sand, water, and cement to fix your driveway or foundation seems like a straightforward process that anyone can do, right? Sorry to break your bubble, but the concrete task is not as simple as it looks and requires years of practice.
If you're planning on selling your home this summer there are few things that you can do for a quick and easy upgrade, potentially increase your home's value, and improving your profit. Here are six easy ways to increase your home's value for a summer sale.
The use of LED or light-emitting diode lights is becoming more popular with passing days. We all are aware of what LED lights are. And we are also aware that it is not only the present solution but it is an ultimate solution for the future.
Winters can be harsh and a regular heater will not be enough to warm up the entire house. The continuous running of the heater will also raise your energy bills and become harsh for your pockets
This is not the best question to ask when you are making decisions about your home. If your appliance fails, what should you do? Should you replace your water heater or hire a plumber? Here are some guidelines to guide you through the process of making that important decision.
Have you heard about the magic brushes? Have you ever seen a magic brush? We are sure you answered no, well these brushes exist in real life and are used by the painters to bring the walls of your home to life by painting beautiful designs, symmetrically perfect patterns or any cartoons for the kid's room or the breathtaking night sky and many more
Corona Virus spreads through the droplets emanated when an infected person coughs or exhales. It can also be transmitted by touching the nose or eyes after being contacted by an infected surface or person. Its most common symptoms are fever, dry cough, and tiredness, but if the situation worsens, the virus attacks the respiratory system and kills the human being