How Much Exercise Do You Need to Do to Burn off Calories This Holiday Season?
The holiday season is upon us, and 't is the season to be snacking! Although you are probably busier counting presents than calories this month, you should still keep an eye on what you eat if you don't want to gain any dreaded holiday weight. By upping the ante when it comes to exercise this month you can definitely have your Christmas cake and eat it too!
Whether you are going to the gym, working out at home or even dancing the night away at your office party, here are the number of calories you can burn through exercise.
Cycling your way to a slimmer waistline
Credit: Tinny Photo/Shutterstock
To avoid having Santa's silhouette you might want to consider cycling. It is a great cardio exercise to help prevent piling on those unwanted pounds, and the best part about it is that you are not restricted to going to the gym. You can cycle your way around town and work out simultaneously. The number of calories you lose cycling depends on the intensity and speed of the workout. If you would like to easily track your progress, there are numerous devices you can buy to help you do that. So, whether you are at the gym or on your way to work, grab a bike and start pedaling!
- 100g serving of Christmas pudding – 330 calories: 1 hour 26 minutes of cycling
- Mince Pie - 230 calories: 46 minutes of cycling
- A slice of Christmas cake - 220 calories: 40 minutes of cycling
- Large handful of festive glazed mixed nuts – 240 calories: 50 minutes of cycling
- Glazed ham and mustard sauce with red cabbage, roast potatoes and vegetables – 510 calories: 2 hours and 5 minutes
Try running this holiday season
Whether you run for the bus, in the park or on the treadmill, there are many benefits associated with this exercise - it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, it strengthens your joints, it is a killer leg workout, and it torches some serious calories. You can choose to sprint or walk briskly depending on your physical level, but try pushing yourself to do better every time. So how much running should you do if you over-eat this season?
- Two fondant chocolates – 120 calories: 22 minute brisk walk
- A prawn cocktail starter – 232: 45 minute brisk walk
- A slice of Christmas ham served with roasted parsnips – 180 calories: 30 minute brisk walk
- A slice of nut roast covered in gravy, with vegetables – 370 calories: 75 minute brisk walk
- Two pieces of Turkish delight -120 calories: 10 minute run
- A small gingerbread cookie - 190 calories: 20 minute run
- A slice of roast turkey served with two potatoes and vegetables – 460 calories: 43 minute run
- Cheese served with crackers and grapes – 340 calories: 20 minute run plus toning exercises
- Mince pies (one pie) - 200 calories: 30 minute run
Skip to weightloss success
This exercise may bring back fond childhood memories, but it's worth doing for more than just nostalgic reasons. Skipping can be a lot of fun, and if done properly it has many health benefits. Take it from online fitness trainer Sacha Harding, who has said: ‘If you are looking for an effortless, yet very effective approach to losing unwanted calories, skipping is the way to go.’ Along with that, skipping helps with toning the muscles in the lower and upper body, it helps to improve your skin, it keeps osteoporosis in check by improving bone density, and it’s the best tool for weight loss.
- Rum balls (one ball) – around 100 calories: Skip for 7-10 minutes
- Pavlova (120g) - 272 calories: Skip for 25 minutes
- Candy cane (1 medium) - 56 calories: Skip for 5 minutes
There are plenty of aesthetic reasons to decorate with indoor houseplants. They're appealing, they add a personal touch, they create atmosphere, and they give you a chance to show off your artistic side.
Have you ever thought about what makes a good fitness tracker for women? If you have been in the market searching for these invaluable health and fitness gadgets, then you've more than likely come across so many options that choosing the right one ended up being a great challenge. Here's a guide to help you choose right.
Health is considered as a priority, When it comes to your health, things are getting pretty serious. That’s why it is not normal for so much unauthorized health-related content to exist on the Internet and even in magazines. Most of the times, this type of content is not revised by anyone who is authorized in the field of health or medicine
Do you have kids? Every parent wants to choose the best doctors for their children. When you are choosing health care professional for your baby, you need to take into account certain factors. Keep in mind that babies and adolescents have different health needs, behavioral needs and so if you want to choose someone who is trained in treating only a particular age group of kids, you should choose a pediatrician.
Are you having some pain in your shoulders and need some help that doesn't involve a bunch of medication? Here you're going to go over a lot of great pieces of advice to help you with this.
Online medical consultation is a perfect way out for patients who might be shy to go see an actual doctor or doesn’t have enough time to. Consulting an online doctor is very important and it should be taken very seriously, most online doctor visits are commonly about high blood pressure, hypertension or even the common cold.
The abuse of various drugs is costing the United States of America a whopping $137 billion annually in direct health care expenses. As per an estimate by World Health Organization(WHO), the burden of diseases related to alcohol and drug issues around the world would rise to 5.4 percent.