Dealing with a drug addiction can be tough and it becomes worse when you think of recovery. There comes a time when attaining sobriety seems to be an impossible goal, but, with willingness and efforts, many addicts reach the top successfully. There are many factors that contribute to the success of any recovery program, but best treatment and support for family and friends play a vital role.
This is the most challenging phase of the addiction recovery process and demands great balancing power between risks and benefits. While this phase indicates that the addict is no more dependable on drugs and practices the power of living drug-free, it also exposes the addict to the risk of mental breakdown as they undergo major changes. These changes can be abandoning substances, people, habits and many other behavioral traits.
Giving up can seem easy but it will be the biggest failure of your life. The setbacks and falls that you experience on your way to recovery will become the most cherished moments of your life once you embrace recovery.
To make it easier for you to fight your addiction, we have jotted down some of the useful tricks that help reach the ultimate goal of recovery. Let us review them one at a time:
Stick to your decision to change:
If you have realized your addiction and are willing to change already, you have probably crossed the biggest hurdle of your path. It is now time that you take a stand for your decision and no matter what, Do Not Deviate. There will be a time when you will feel lonely, fragile, weak and torn inside-out, staying strong and sticking with your decision is great importance in this phase. With strong willpower, the phase shall pass soon.
Address the following issues whenever you feel conflicted:
- Find a way to deal with your stress levels
- Talk to people in your life, but, choose wisely
- Utilize your free time with productive activities
- Think high of yourself
Contemplating the life after addiction will help you stay strong. You may explore the outcome of change and strengthen your mindset to embrace change. Some effective ways to do so includes:
- Tracking your drug usage- when, why & how much. This helps you understand the effects of addiction.
- Review the advantages and disadvantages of quitting.
- Find a source of inspiration- kids, family, career, health, etc.
- Consult a recovered addict
- Search out for the reason preventing you from quitting.
Evaluating treatment options:
An efficient addiction recovery center will offer you a variety of recovery options. However, before you and the health care provider settle on a particular option, it is important that you know the basic facts about addiction treatments:
- First of all, like the symptoms of addiction, recovery treatment is different for different individuals.
- Any treatment you choose must address your addiction along with a complete support for the psychological problems that you are exposed to. An ideal treatment program must offer counseling and support system in case of mental and behavioral breakdown.
- The key to success of any addiction treatment program lies with the professional’s expertise and your willingness to commit.
Opening up and seeking support will help you in successful recovery. Support from your family and friends makes it easy to fight the tough battle against yourself. You can also search a social network that supports people undergoing recovery programs. Do not keep things from your counselor or therapists and put all your feelings into words. This will accelerate the speed of recovery.
It is important that you maintain your recovery to cherish the aftereffects of the treatment. Overpower your cravings and learn innovative ways to keep yourself engaged; you will soon become a successfully sober.