Jewellery industry enthusiast and blog writer for Anton Jewellery.
Anton specialise in:
I'm also a contributor to Plumery Fine Jewellery.
Plumery specialise in:
Articles from this author
With their exceptional beauty and fascinating origins, pearls have been highly prized by ancient civilisations for over several millennia. They have extensively pursued thousands of years ago throughout the waters of the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, Red Sea and Gulf of Mannar.
With their unique and breathtaking beauty, opal gemstones have been revered for thousands of years. Until the discovery of enormous quantities of opal in Australia during the 1800s, the only other known source of opal was Červenica, a small village in southern Slovakia.
Alexandrite was first uncovered in the Ural Mountains of Russia during the early 19th century. The gemstone was named after soon-to-be Russian Czar, Alexander II and this connection to Russian royalty likely helped it gain prominence as a valuable and precious stone.
Rubies have been revered for their magnificent beauty by ancient cultures around the world, for thousands of years. There are records of them being used for trade purposes in China as far back as 200 BC, while they were held in the highest regard by those in ancient India, who referred to them as the ‘king of all precious stones’.
Along with rubies and sapphires, emeralds are the most precious and valuable of all the gemstones. Believed to have first been discovered in Egypt around 1500 BC, emeralds have enjoyed exalted status, particularly among royalty, with Cleopatra herself famous for wearing emerald jewellery during her reign.
Sapphires have been revered by cultures around the world for many hundreds of years, dating back to around 800 B.C. The iconic blue sapphires were considered sacred to those of the catholic church and to ancient Persians, who theorised that the reflection of the stone’s wondrous blue colour, gave the sky above its blue colour.
The usage of aquamarine can be traced back to the earliest recordings of human history. Ancient artifacts containing aquamarine, date back as far as 500 B.C. Its striking yet calming blue tone and high affordability make it a very desirable gemstone for those seeking a less-pricier alternative to a more expensive gemstone.
In the late 1960s, an African tribesman was making his way through the bottom of Mount Kilimanjaro, when he came across a strikingly beautiful piece of mineral that was nestled in the grassland. With its fascinating indigo colour, the tribesman collected the rock and decided to keep it
In China, the Chinese Valentine’s day is known as the Qixi Festival and is celebrated on the 7th day of the 7th month of the lunar calendar. The significance of this date concerns an ancient tale in which a cattle herder and his lover, a weaving maid are separated from each other throughout the entire year, only reuniting on that single day.
To the naked eye, white gold and platinum look identical, which prompts consumers to ask what the differences are. The following article describes the differences between white gold and platinum and details the various pros and cons of each material.
Sterling silver is the name given to an alloy that is comprised of approximately 92.5% pure silver. The remaining 7.5% consists of additional metals. Similar to gold, there are no 100% pure silver jewellery items in circulation, as silver is far too soft on its own to be suitable for every day or even occasional use.
Promise rings are a tangible representation of devotion between couples at the beginning of a relationship. As the name implies, the ring is a promise that one person will love the other forever. It must be noted, however, that unlike an engagement ring, a promise ring does not indicate the person’s intention to marry the other.
Suffering accidental damage to your jewellery isn’t a rare thing, especially for items that are worn on a daily basis, such as engagement rings. There are numerous ways in which your cherished items can become scratched, tarnished, torn and broken. Here’s a list of the most common ways that jewellery is damaged and how best to protect them.
When shopping for gold jewellery, you are likely to come across the three most common colours of gold; yellow, white and rose gold. This article discusses the various qualities of white gold and answers some of the more frequently asked questions surrounding it.
When you think of a marriage proposal, your mind immediately conjures up images of an iconic and romantic backdrop and an emotional partner pledging their undying devotion to their soulmate, before revealing the true embodiment of their feelings for that person, the engagement ring.