The Two Big Benefits of Project Management Software for Small Businesses
The modern small business owner understands that trends come and go. It often feels like we can’t go a week without a new buzzword or potential marketing snake oil that promises to transform our businesses overnight.
In the midst of so many flavors of the week, however, there have been trends which have stood the test of time. For example, understanding the process of project management has become an absolute necessity for many online businesses, especially those in the tech field.
Project management as has evolved in recent years, mostly due to the ever-changing world of software development and business technology. The need to invest in software specifically for project management has been the subject of debate amongst businesses who simply see it as, ironically, a potential waste of time.
However, consider the potential cost of poor project management as noted by Gallup, who uncovered some shocking insights including...
- Inefficiency regarding project cost and time could be costing the IT sector between $50 billion to $150 billion annually
- Many projects fail due to unnecessarily rigid guidelines and a lack of quality control
- More projects succeed when workers make emotional connections with one another and keep the lines of communication open
The integration of project management software such as Trello is most definitely a smart move for small businesses; however, reaping the benefits of such software only comes after you know what successful project management looks like. If you’re brand new to the field or are already considering your PMP certification, keep the following in mind in order to reap the benefits of your project management strategy.
How Software Can Be a Time-Saver
The primary reason that businesses turn to just about any software is to make their company swifter and more efficient. Used properly, project management can do just that. For example, such software allows businesses freedom and flexibility by…
- Eliminating needless check-ins or meetings, which are noted to be potentially huge time-wasters for many small businesses
- Allows for more access and collaboration when working remote employees by taking advantage of features such as document sharing
- Some software helps to keep track of project costs, budgets and risks: access to such information can help you plug holes in your project strategy and save time in the future
The key to efficiency through such software is by treating it as a tool integral to your business. Remember, good project management is about saving time, not wasting it.
Transparency and Accountability
Effective use of project management software helps eliminate the age old question of “Who’s working on what right now?” In short, such software can quickly define…
- Each team member working on a project and their respective roles within the project
- How long a project should take, step by step
- Which step of the project each member is on, and when they got there
Understanding these roles helps to build a sense transparency and accountability within your organization, as everyone is aware of each other's part to play in regard to completing the process.
Some organizations or individuals may see this as a means of micromanaging or singling workers out; however, this does not have to be the case. Instead, frame the use of software as a team effort, emphasizing the need for collaboration in order to successfully complete a task.
Don’t doom your projects for failure by removing the human connection to your management strategy. In short, team members’ well-being in mind and have realistic expectations along the way.
Proper project management does have the potential to transform the way that your team tackles new challenges. By focusing on collaboration and quality when it comes to your process, project management software may become one of the most important tools in your business’ toolbox.
You’ve decided your business needs a bigger space and you’re now planning to move office. Your employees are ready to move office and discover the benefits of having much more space available for their daily work routine.
There are over 21 million veterans of the United States' Armed Forces who are celebrated every year on Veterans Day. While the unemployment rate for veterans is actually quite low and most veterans are happily employed
Most online businesses were started for two reasons, the ability to sell items cheaper to consume
After years of working within a corporate system, many people feel burned out. At that point, starting a business is a good idea.
Whether you are a programmer, designer, photographer, or writer, having an online portfolio will